This critical position will deliver both innovation and continuous improvement in Kromek’s compound semiconductor radiation detectors through a detailed understanding of semiconductor and surface properties and their implications through device performance and into applications performance. The incumbent will work with a dedicated team of physicists, electronics engineers, software and firmware professionals within Kromek but will importantly develop and maintain a broad external network in research and at universities.
Based in Zelienople, Penns. USA.
Duties / Responsibilities
- Deliver a clear understanding of the semiconductor materials and surface properties of Kromek’s detector materials and how those influence detector and applications performance.
- Create a clear plan that identifies the prioritization of parameter characterization by demonstrating with supporting evidence the influence of these key characteristics.
- Develop and implement the instrumentation and metrics required for both materials characterization during detector development and production process maintenance.
- Identify how key manufacturing and processing steps influence these characteristics. Through this understanding assist in the development of optimized manufacturing processes.
- Ensure that understanding is propagated within the Kromek team.
- Ensure personal skills are continuously maintained and developed.
Education / Experience
- B.S. in Physics, Engineering Physics, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent with a demonstrated focus in solid-state physics and semiconductor properties, a PhD focussing on semiconductor physics is preferred.
- Five to seven years of experience in a result orientated research or development role. This should include demonstrated delivery of the linkage between low-level understanding and bulk device performance.
Knowledge / Skills / Personal Characteristics
- Must be a clear and open communicator who places value on seeking consensus and support for courses of action through careful hypothesis generation and experimental testing.
- Must to open to new ideas and use broad networks to deliver exceptional results.
- Must be open to change.
- Must be able to generate cohesive arguments to generate change.
- Must have a strongly collaborative spirit.
- Must independently maintain and expand their own capabilities.
- Must be able to clearly communicate ideas internally, with external partners and with customers.
- Must be able to face up to and engage long term problems with a high degree of difficulty and maintain positive approaches through the many phases of difficult programs.
- High self-motivation with the ability to work independently and to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Smart, high-energy, results-oriented and driven to succeed in a fast-paced start-up environment.
Physical / Environmental Requirements
- Requires limited supervision for routine processes.
- Must be able to wear required safety protective equipment including but not limited to safety shoes and glasses.
- Some national and international travel required.
Must be US Citizen or permanent resident.
Kromek is an equal opportunity employer. No person is unlawfully excluded from consideration for employment because of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, veteran status, marital status or disabilities.