The current COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted that we are ill equipped to monitor and track the evolution of emergent pathogens, and we fail to be proactive in the management of outbreaks. Kromek is developing wide area pathogen detection systems, to identify biological threats, such as SARS-CoV-2. As such, here at Kromek we’re looking for a full-time, permanent Molecular Biology Technician to join the growing Biotechnology team.
Responsibilities and Duties
The laboratory assistant will be immediately responsible for the day to day running of the lab and maintenance of instruments. Working with the rest of the team, they will implement the protocols that are developed in-house, record the procedures followed and record all findings. They should be able to communicate and report to a diverse group of scientists and lay people.
Essential Skills and Experience
- BSc or equivalent in Biological Sciences
- MSc or postgraduate work by research
- Previous wet lab experience
- Good laboratory practice
- Aseptic technique
- Preparation of media, solutions, buffers etc
- Nucleic acid purification
- Lab-book write-up
- MS Office or Libre office
Desirable skills and Experience
- Nucleic acid amplification
- NGS sequencing
- Microscopy (including fluorescent)
- Western blotting
- Cell line maintenance
- Ability to communicate the progress of projects, both verbally using presentations and with written reports
- Ability to perform small maintenance duties (cleaning of instrumentation) Maintenance and calibration of instruments (pH meters, PCR machines, etc.)
- Preparation of SOPs, COSHH etc
- Life Assurance.
- Stakeholder Pension Scheme.
- Share Options.
- Private Health Insurance Scheme.
- 25 days holiday plus statutory days.
Kromek Group plc is an international technology group (global HQ in the UK) and a leading developer and supplier of high-performance radiological and biological detection products as well as other advanced technologies. Using its technology platforms, Kromek designs, develops and produces x-ray and gamma-ray imaging and biological and radiation detection products for the medical, CBRNe security, Homeland Security and civil nuclear radiation detection markets.
The Group’s business model provides a vertically integrated technology offering to customers, from proof of concept to finished products, including software, electronics, mechanics and application specific integrated circuits (ASICs).
The Group has operations in the UK and US (California and Pennsylvania) and sells internationally through a combination of distributors, OEM and direct sales.