The current COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted that we are ill equipped to monitor and track the evolution of emergent pathogens, and we fail to be proactive in the management of outbreaks. Kromek is 36 months into a 5-year contract with the Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) for the development of a mobile pathogen detection system, to detect biological threats, such as SARS-CoV-2. Kromek is looking for a full-time permanent molecular biologist to join the growing Biotechnology group.
Duties / Responsibilities
The scientist will be immediately responsible for the day to day running of the lab and working with the rest of the team, they will develop and implement protocols, record the procedures followed and record all findings. They should be able to communicate and report to a diverse group of scientists and lay people.
Essential skills and experience
- PhD in Life Sceinces
- Nucleic acid amplification
- NGS sequencing
- Nucleic acid purification
- Data analysis
- Ability to communicate the progress of projects, both verbally using presentations and with written reports
- Ability to progress a project with minimal supervision
- Ability to utilise and manage resources for the completion of a project
- Compares current data and events with previous frameworks
- Easily adapts and performs new protocols / tasks that are continuously updated
- Adapts to local policies and procedures
- Deals with people from a variety of backgrounds
- Works effectively under tight deadlines
Desired skills and experience
- Postgraduate work by research in a molecular life science subject
- Microscopy (including fluorescent)
- Western blotting
- Virology and microbiology
- Genetic engineering
- Preparation of SOPs, COSHH etc
- Work in an agile and interactive environment
- Integrate and communicate with scientist from areas outside biology
- Relates different pieces of information
- Understands how own tasks relate to the wider framework
- Is open and excited about new ideas / technologies
- Recognises when help is required
- Life Assurance.
- Stakeholder pension scheme.
- Share Options.
- Private Health Insurance Scheme.
- 25 days holiday plus statutory days.
Kromek Group plc is an international technology group (global HQ in the UK) and a leading developer and supplier of high-performance radiological and biological detection products as well as other advanced technologies. Using its technology platforms, Kromek designs, develops and produces x-ray and gamma-ray imaging and biological and radiation detection products for the medical, CBRNe security, Homeland Security and civil nuclear radiation detection markets.
The Group’s business model provides a vertically integrated technology offering to customers, from proof of concept to finished products, including software, electronics, mechanics and application specific integrated circuits (ASICs).
The Group has operations in the UK and US (California and Pennsylvania) and sells internationally through a combination of distributors, OEM and direct sales.