As part of continued strategic growth, Kromek is looking for a Mechatronics Engineer to join the growing Biotechnology division. The Mechatronics Engineer will be responsible for the engineering hardware implementation. Working with the rest of the team, the Mechatronics Engineer will lead the design, development, manufacture and assessment of the automation hardware as well as owning all form factor and enclosure design.
Duties / Responsibilities
- Oversee the work of existing and future sub-contractors in accordance with project requirements.
- Design engineering systems for the automation of biological processes.
- Create mechanical design documents for complex software controlled electromechanical systems.
- Maintain technical project files.
- Create software design schematics and workflows.
- Analyze existing development or manufacturing procedures and suggest improvements.
- Implement and test design solutions.
- Identify and select materials appropriate for biological mechatronic system designs.
- Create mechanical models and tolerance analyses to simulate mechatronic design concepts.
- Upgrade the design of existing methodologies by adding mechatronic elements.
- Design advanced precision equipment for accurate or controlled applications.
- Publish engineering reports documenting design details or qualification test results.
- Research, select, or apply sensors, communication technologies, or control devices for motion control, position sensing, pressure sensing, or electronic communication.
- Design, develop, or implement control circuits or algorithms for electromechanical or pneumatic devices or systems.
- Conduct studies to determine the feasibility, costs, or performance benefits of new mechatronic equipment.
- Design, develop and apply self-monitoring electronic, mechanical, or computerized processes to perform tasks in autonomous microfluidics and detect and prevent failures.
- Monitor or calibrate automated systems, precision control systems, or system components to maximize efficiency of processes.
Essential skills and experience
- Masters Degree, in Science or Engineering as a minimum
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in working in industry
- Hands-on experience with complex autonomous software controlled electro-mechanical systems
- Ability to work independently and develop new experimental paradigms
Desired skills and experience
- PhD, with focus on MEMS/LOC or medical devices
- Experience of DFM or product development
- Experience in bio-medical technologies
- Willingness to travel within the UK and internationally
- Life Assurance.
- Stakeholder pension scheme.
- Share Options.
- Private Health Insurance Scheme.
- 25 days holiday plus statutory days.
Kromek Group plc is an international technology group (global HQ in the UK) and a leading developer and supplier of high-performance radiological and biological detection products as well as other advanced technologies. Using its technology platforms, Kromek designs, develops and produces x-ray and gamma-ray imaging and biological and radiation detection products for the medical, CBRNe security, Homeland Security and civil nuclear radiation detection markets.
The Group’s business model provides a vertically integrated technology offering to customers, from proof of concept to finished products, including software, electronics, mechanics and application specific integrated circuits (ASICs).
One of the Group’s products provides high-precision genome sequence information of pathogens found in air, bodily fluids and on surfaces, so, the technology is used for the detection and identification of infectious agents.
The Group has operations in the UK and US (California and Pennsylvania) and sells internationally through a combination of distributors, OEM and direct sales.