The current COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted that we are ill equipped to monitor and track the evolution of emergent pathogens, and we fail to be proactive in the management of outbreaks. Kromek is 24 months into a 5-year contract with the Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) for the development of a mobile pathogen detection system, to detect biological threats, such as SARS-CoV-2. Kromek is looking for a full-time permanent molecular biology laboratory assistant to join the growing Biotechnology group.
Responsibilities and duties
The laboratory assistant will be immediately responsible for the day to day running of the lab and maintenance of instruments. Working with the rest of the team, they will implement the protocols that are developed in-house, record the procedures followed and record all findings. They should be able to communicate and report to a diverse group of scientists and lay people.
Essential skills and experience
- Previous wet lab experience
- Good laboratory practice
- Aseptic technique
- Preparation of media, solutions, buffers etc
- Nucleic acid purification
- Lab-book write-up
- MS Office or libre office
Desirable skills and experience
- Nucleic acid amplification
- NGS sequencing
- Microscopy (including fluorescent)
- Western blotting
- Cell line maintenance
- Ability to communicate the progress of projects, both verbally using presentations and with written reports
- Ability to perform small maintenance duties (cleaning of instrumentation)
- Maintenance and calibration of instruments (pH meters, PCR machines, etc.)
- Preparation of SOPs, COSHH etc
- Compares current data and events with previous frameworks
- Easily adapts and performs new protocols / tasks that are continuously updated
- Adapts to local policies and procedures
- Deals with people from a variety of backgrounds
- Works effectively under tight deadlines
- Life Assurance.
- Stakeholder pension scheme.
- Share Options.
- Private Health Insurance Scheme.
- 25 days holiday plus statutory days.
Kromek Group plc is an international technology group (global HQ in the UK) and a leading developer and supplier of high-performance radiological and biological detection products as well as other advanced technologies. Using its technology platforms, Kromek designs, develops and produces x-ray and gamma-ray imaging and biological and radiation detection products for the medical, CBRNe security, Homeland Security and civil nuclear radiation detection markets.
The Group’s business model provides a vertically integrated technology offering to customers, from proof of concept to finished products, including software, electronics, mechanics and application specific integrated circuits (ASICs).
One of the Group’s products provides high-precision genome sequence information of pathogens found in air, bodily fluids and on surfaces, so, the technology is used for the detection and identification of infectious agents.
The Group has operations in the UK and US (California and Pennsylvania) and sells internationally through a combination of distributors, OEM and direct sales.