We have an exciting opportunity to join the Kromek UK Intelligent algorithms team as a Data Scientist. The individual we are looking for will join a growing team, helping to play an integral part in producing systems that make decisions based on real time data.
- Use measurements from our products and systems to produce insights and write software for products
- Help to develop algorithms to make decisions based on data
- Work closely with other scientific colleagues on novel problems, and be willing to input your own ideas and work with the ideas of others
- Learn from working closely with a dedicated team, about data engineering, data science, and machine learning techniques, including neural networks, deep learning and AI
- Organise and control data pipelines, gathering, cleaning and organising measurements of many types, so that they can be used by you and your colleagues to generate and run decision algorithms
- Generate datasets to support colleagues developing advanced algorithms
- Design and carry out experiments to test hypotheses, and display the results to support decision-making
- Develop your own decision algorithms, with the support of colleagues, and test their effectiveness
- An undergraduate degree, either:
- In computer science or a related field, with some interest or experience in the natural sciences such as physics
- In the natural sciences (preferably physics), with experience using programming to solve problems
- A good grasp of at least one programming language, including at least some experience of Python
- Some exposure to machine learning techniques
- Good communication skills, and a willingness to discuss data, algorithms and science with colleagues
- A scientific and sceptical mindset – the willingness to question assumptions, and the ability to answer those questions with experiments
- A Master’s degree, or higher
- Experience of creating neural networks
- Experience with any of the following Python libraries: PyTorch, Tensorflow, FastAPI or other API framework
- Experience with SQL
- A passion for improving the world with ethical products and business practices
- Life assurance 3 x salary
- Share options vesting over 3-year period
- 25 days holiday (pro-rated) + statutory days
- Option to join the Kromek pension scheme, which is with Aviva, Kromek match up to 5% when employee passes their probation period
- Option to join the private medical scheme, which Kromek pay for
Kromek Group plc is an international technology group (global HQ in the UK) and a leading developer and supplier of high-performance radiation detection products based on cadmium zinc telluride (CZT) and other advanced technologies. Using its technology platforms, Kromek designs and develops and produces x-ray and gamma-ray imaging and radiation detection products for the medical, CBRNe security, Homeland Security, and civil nuclear radiation detection markets.
The Group’s products provide high-resolution information on material composition and structure and are used in multiple applications, ranging from the identification of cancerous tissues to hazardous materials, such as explosives, and the analysis of radioactive materials.
The Group’s business model provides a vertically integrated technology offering to customers, from radiation detector materials to finished products or detectors, including software, electronics and application specific integrated circuits (ASICs).
The Group has operations in the UK and US (California and Pennsylvania) and sells internationally through a combination of distributors, OEM, and direct sales.