The current COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted that we are ill equipped to monitor and track the evolution of emergent pathogens, and we fail to be proactive in the management of outbreaks. Kromek is 18 months into a 5-year contract with the Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) for the development of a mobile pathogen detection system, to detect biological threats, such as COVID-19. Kromek is looking for a full-time permanent Project Engineer to join the growing Biotechnology group. The Engineer will be immediately responsible for engineering hardware implementation. Working with the rest of the team, the Engineer will lead the design, development, manufacture and assessment of the automation hardware as well as owning all form factor and enclosure designs.
Responsibilities and duties
- Oversee the work of existing and future sub-contractors in accordance with project requirements.
- Design engineering solutions for the automation of biological processes.
- Create mechanical design documents for complex software controlled electromechanical systems.
- Maintain technical project reports.
- Create software design schematics and workflows.
- Implement and test design solutions.
- Identify and select materials appropriate for biological mechatronic system designs.
- Create mechanical models to simulate mechatronic design concepts.
- Upgrade the design of existing methodologies by adding mechatronic elements.
- Design advanced precision equipment for accurate or controlled applications.
- Publish engineering reports documenting design details or qualification test results.
- Design, develop, or implement control workflows or algorithms for electromechanical or pneumatic devices or systems.
- Conduct studies to determine the feasibility, costs, or performance benefits of new designs or equipment.
- Design, develop and apply self-monitoring electronic, mechanical, or computerized processes to perform tasks in autonomous microfluidics and detect and prevent failures.
- Monitor or calibrate automated systems, precision control systems, or system components to maximize efficiency of processes.
Essential skills and experience
- At Least a Masters Degree, in any Science or Engineering discipline
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in working in industry
- Hands-on experience with complex autonomous software controlled electro-mechanical systems or scientific instrumentation.
- Ability to work independently and develop new experimental paradigms
- Ability to problem-solve, critical thinking and a can-do attitude
Desirable skills and experience
- PhD, with focus on MEMS/LOC or medical devices
- Experience of DFM or product development
- Experience in bio-medical technologies
- Willingness to travel within the UK and internationally
- Life Assurance.
- Stakeholder pension scheme.
- Share Options.
- Private Health Insurance Scheme.
- 25 days holiday plus statutory days.
Kromek Group plc is an international technology group (global HQ in the UK) and a leading developer and supplier of high-performance radiological and biological detection products as well as other advanced technologies. Using its technology platforms, Kromek designs, develops and produces x-ray and gamma-ray imaging and biological and radiation detection products for the medical, CBRNe security, Homeland Security and civil nuclear radiation detection markets.
The Group’s business model provides a vertically integrated technology offering to customers, from proof of concept to finished products, including software, electronics, mechanics and application specific integrated circuits (ASICs).
One of the Group’s products provides high-precision genome sequence information of pathogens found in air, bodily fluids and on surfaces, so, the technology is used for the detection and identification of infectious agents.
The Group has operations in the UK and US (California and Pennsylvania) and sells internationally through a combination of distributors, OEM and direct sales.