Kromek is looking for a Bioinformatician to join the growing Biotechnology division. The Bioinformatician will work and support an interdisciplinary team of engineers, scientists, and Head of Programme as well as liaising with external partners and subject matter experts. The role primarily involves the development of bioinformatic pipelines based on meta-genomic and third generation sequencing platforms. The Bioinformatician will be responsible for developing bespoke methodologies and algorithms that overcome pitfalls of current algorithms, benchmarking algorithm performance as well as implementing key strategies to achieve target metrics.
Responsibilities and duties
- Support an interdisciplinary team to develop biosensors. Work closely with our current in-house Bioinformatician and Software Developers.
- Develop bespoke bioinformatic algorithms (including machine learning approaches) that mitigate pitfalls of existing bioinformatic algorithms.
- Benchmarking and evaluation of algorithm performance on meta-genomic datasets.
- Work autonomously and possess the ability to troubleshoot issues that may arise.
Essential skills and experience
- Degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, or related subject.
- Minimum of three years’ experience working with and developing bioinformatic algorithms.
- Proficient in Unix environment and at least one other computational language (e.g. Python, R, Java, C, C++).
- Ability to automate computational processes, mine data, conduct analysis and plot data associated with meta-genomic datasets.
- In-depth understanding of third-generation sequencing, RNA and DNA fundamentals.
- Ability to work independently, problem-solve and think logically with a can-do attitude.
- Friendly, approachable and demonstrates initiative within a high-paced environment.
Desirable skills and experience
- Post-graduate level education.
- Previous demonstratable application of machine learning to biological datasets.
- Life Assurance.
- Stakeholder pension scheme.
- Share Options.
- Private Health Insurance Scheme.
- 25 days holiday plus statutory days.
Kromek Group plc is an international technology group (global HQ in the UK) and a leading developer and supplier of high-performance radiological and biological detection products as well as other advanced technologies. Using its technology platforms, Kromek designs, develops and produces x-ray and gamma-ray imaging and biological and radiation detection products for the medical, CBRNe security, Homeland Security and civil nuclear radiation detection markets.
The Group’s business model provides a vertically integrated technology offering to customers, from proof of concept to finished products, including software, electronics, mechanics and application specific integrated circuits (ASICs).
One of the Group’s products provides high-precision genome sequence information of pathogens found in air, bodily fluids and on surfaces, so, the technology is used for the detection and identification of infectious agents.
The Group has operations in the UK and US (California and Pennsylvania) and sells internationally through a combination of distributors, OEM and direct sales.